IF you are a parent or guardian of a youth-young adult below are some resources regarding substance use. There are links covering a wide variety of substances that stokes county youth may be experimenting with.
Alcohol use by youth
Marijuana Use by youth
over-the-counter cough syrup Misuse
Prescription medication misuse
- Learn about CNS (central nervous system) medications and why they should be secured properly in the home.
- Learn more about opioids and how accidental misuse of opioids can happen to any family.
- Some people take prescription stimulants to try to improve mental performance. Learn how this is dangerous for teens AND adults.
prescription opioids and heroin research
- Prescription opioid use is a risk factor for heroin use.
- Prescription opioids and heroin have similar effects but different risk factors.
- Increased drug availability is associated with increased use and overdose.
- Heroin use is driven by its low cost and high availability.
- Emphasis is needed on both PREVENTION and TREATMENT.
Prescription medication: youth trends and statistics