“We strive to empower our citizens to improve their quality of life through education, awareness and change when needed.”
Stokes Citizens for Safe and Healthy Communities was founded in 2008 and has been focused on the health and well-being of all residents of Stokes County.
We work with civic groups, public service agencies and health providers in Stokes to educate parents, inform community members and engage youth in making healthier and safer decisions.
In 2010 we installed permanent medication drop boxes for use by citizens at three locations [find them here] across Stokes County.
There have been over 2 million doses of medication safely disposed through drop boxes locations in Stokes.
We also focus on all concerns to Stokes County residents especially regarding substance abuse awareness and education as well as emotional, mental and physical well-being.
Stokes Citizens for Safe and Healthy Communities mission is to promote and protect the health of individuals, families and communities in our county. We strive to empower our citizens to improve their quality of life through education, awareness and change when needed.
We collaborate with organizations and groups to enhance our impact in Stokes
Overall Focus for 2020
- Education and awareness of proper use of medication especially controlled substances
- Educate the community to take medication as prescribed, by the person the medication is prescribed for and disposal of the medication when no longer needed
- Educate the community on Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drugs that are issues within the county.
- Engage the community and bring awareness of issues the county are facing through social media graphics that can be shared
- Engage youth
- Increase the proper storage and disposal of medications in the home
Objectives and Long-Term Goals
Our strategic plan currently is to help meet the mission of the Stokes Citizens coalition by setting objectives and long-term goals. This includes continuing to reach out to all 12 sectors for involvement, engaging our community through social media and making sure that citizens are aware of resources that are readily available to them to improve their quality of life. Through the process of planning and implementing these items we feel that it will help us meet our main goal of increasing substance abuse awareness and education, as well as emotional, mental and physical well-being.