If a member of your congregation asked,
“Where do you go for addiction/mental health support in Stokes County?”
Would you know what information to share with them?
Stop Overdose Stokes (S.O.S.) is a team of professionals, pastors and volunteers that formed in January of 2019 to engage churches to help reduce overdoses in Stokes County.
We meet second Wednesday of the month at 1:30pm in the fellowship hall of Chestnut Grove UMC. Address is 1024 Volunteer Rd, King and Rev. Dr. Evelyn Lemons chairs this group. Contact her at the church office at 336-983-9657 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are a faith-based subcommittee of the Stokes Citizens for Safe and Healthy Communities coalition that was founded in 2008. Derrick Vickers is the co-chair of the coalition and can be reached by phone at 336-287-2411 or email@example.com.
Call to Action: Stokes County Churches
Is the Lord calling your church to action because of the crisis we are facing?
Is your congregation concerned with people dying from overdoses in Stokes County?
As the body of Christ our work is to save lives to save souls.
- The professionals who work in this field are asking faith leaders to open your doors and be knowledgeable about resources in Stokes that can support citizens.
- Be aware of mental health and substance use issues in the county. There are free resources offered in Stokes by providers who will come to your church and provide information.
- Talk about what is going on in Stokes County with your congregation. Stigma is the number one barrier we are facing as a community, so talk to your church and engage them on this. Let the congregation know you are willing to have a conversation about this very difficult topic.
- We invite you to put out the suicide prevention cards in your church to let people know your church wants to help people who are suffering.
Faith- Based Recovery Resources in Stokes County
- Willing Vessels: Located in King, offer counseling and support for people in recovery. Pastor Gary Adkins. Counselors Steve and Brenda Wright work with people in recovery. Their church has had great success in helping people in recovery! Contact Steve at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-354-7002. Church 336-985-0222 Newest Program Freedom in Light will start in Mid-March 2020. Thursday nights at 7:00 pm.
- Calvary Baptist: Located in King, Friday at 7 pm night, Recovery Program for substance abuse and mental health; recovery program designed to rescue, recover and restore those in addictive behaviors
- Trinity UMC: Located in King, downstairs classroom next to the steps, parking in the back parking lot. AA meets Monday at 7pm and Thursday at 7pm. NA meets on Friday at 8pm.
- Exodus Ministry: Located in King, Exodus Ministries is a Christian mentoring program focusing on breaking destructive generational patterns of addiction, poverty, and abuse through the liberating power of God’s Truths. They offer group and personal ministry sessions to those in need. They offer assistance with entry into rehabs through their Hope Dealer scholarships program. Contact: Tamra Lilly 336-529-8993 or Exodusrestore@gmail.com
- Christ Episcopal Church: Located at 412 Summit Street in Walnut Cove, offers AA Tuesdays at 7pm and Fridays at 12pm. Al-Anon meets Tuesdays at 7pm at white house next to church. For questions contact 336- 406-1596.
- Poplar Springs: Located in King, Celebrate Recovery is a 12 step program for all addictions meets Thursday at 7pm in the education building.
- Harvest Temple Church: Located in King, Nar-Anon for families that have loved ones addicted to drugs meets on Tuesday at 6pm.
- Faith Baptist Church: Located on Flat Shoals Road, offers a jail ministry in Stokes. Working on adding an addiction ministry. Pastor Kenny Heath is also a chaplain for Stokes County Sheriff and can be contacted at 336-994-2400.
- Brown Mountain Baptist: Located in Westfield, Pastor Eddie Carter contact phone 336-593-9597
- Chestnut Grove UMC: Located 1024 Volunteer Rd, King, host the Stop Overdose Stokes meeting on Second Wednesdays at 1:30pm, Rev. Dr. Evelyn Lemons is a chaplain for Stokes County Sheriff Mike Marshall. Contact church office: 336-983-9657 or email at email@example.com . Rev. Lemons keeps the master list of this information sheet if you have additions or corrections, please contact her to make updates.
- James UMC: Located in Rural Hall. They offer AA meeting and Uptown Group who meet on Wednesday’s at 8pm.
- PALS (Parents of Addicted Loved Ones Support Group): offers Family Support Group at 9am Thursday mornings at Stokes Wellness Center, 3172 HWY 8, Walnut Cove and Thursday evenings at 108 E King St. King to PAL meeting Thursday evenings in King. For more information contact Dianna Altrath at firstname.lastname@example.org or 336-345-6728.
- Chaplain Rick Hughes, also Stokes County Sheriff Chaplain, support for first responders.336-406-6589
- Dwayne Young, Pastor, New Birth Baptist Church, Walnut Cove. Church location: 6970 Dennis Rd, Phone: 336-283-5005. Dwayne is a volunteer with Stop Overdose Stokes, is retired from EMS Guilford County.
- Sid Lee Memorial Mental Health Association of Stokes County: Located at 530 N. Main St. Walnut Cove NC 27052. Contact person: Mary Lee at 252-542-9333. Mailing address PO 963 Walnut Cove, NC 27052
- Guardians of the Children, Director Daniel Massey helps advocate for children who have been through abuse or neglect. Contact: email@example.com 336-618-4707
- Tabitha Ministries: Located in Summerfield. Christian ministry for women seeking to change their lives after prison, recovery from addiction or abusive situations, breaking free from prostitution, or working to overcome a history of abuse or trauma. For more information tabithaministry.com
- Randy Cook, Pastor, Shining Light Baptist 4593 Flat Shoals Road, Germanton, 27019
Also, Pastor of True Light Baptist 5033 NC 704 East, Sandy Ridge, NC 27046
- Piedmont Health Services and Sickle Cell Agency. Services Offered: Free Hep-C, HIV and other STI Education and Testing, including In-Home.
Contact Name: Savalas R. Squire Sr., Phone: 336-430-1165 (mobile), 336-274-1507 ext 124 (office). Availability: On-Call based on Client Availability. Address: 1102 E. Market St, Greensboro NC
- Laura Bullins, Stokes County Community Paramedic, 336 593-5409, office.
Home Safety Assessments, Care Coordination, Substance Abuse Resource Navigation,
Mental Health Resource Navigation, Medication Assistance
Transportation Assistance to Medical Appointments, Physical, Mental and Functional Assessments, Medication Reconciliation,, Intensive Case Management
Public Education, Opioid Response Team